Thursday, August 13, 2009

On-line glasses for not quite so seniors


My love affair with on-line shopping started last fall when my mother was not well enough to go out Christmas shopping, but was too afraid to stay at home alone. I got into on-line catalogues and had the time of my life.

After whetting my appetite on gifts for others, I decided to look around for something for myself. I realized that what I really wanted were a pair of bifocal glasses. I usually only wear reading glasses, but I AM getting older and the TV is slowly getting blurrier. I decided to try a pair of on-line glasses, bifocals. Since I only really need them to watch about an hour of TV at night while doing my crochet, I didn't want to spend big bucks. On the Web, people were saying that on-line glasses were great so I decided to order a pair and see what I'ld get.

I must mention that my eyes are very close together so that I look like an owl when I wear full glasses. It is honestly depressing for me to try on glasses; they look so good on the shelf, then when I put them on... I figured that on-line glasses might be a solution because ALL the measurements are listed so I could check out the WHOLE selection just in function of the bridge width! There were several sites available and even one where I could put a picture of myself and see how the glasses would look. I wound up on Zennioptical's site and I must say, I had days of fun, checking out all the glasses. Since this was a bit of a lark, I took my time but of course wound up with very staid bifocals as you can see, since it is hard to break old habits (of being reasonable). BUT 40$!!, signed, sealed and delivered. How cool is that!! and they are GREAT!

I wouldn't recommend these for my mother (who has very bad eyes), or for any seniors with dementia, mostly because she is not receptive to anything new. With her loss of memory she is only comfortable with things that are familiar: her glasses, and what she looks like with her glasses on. But if your senior doesn't have these kinds of problems and would just like to "change how they look a bit", then why not!!! Fun is fun. At these prices, who cares, and it never hurts to have an extra pair of glasses around the house.

Since I am not my mother so on-line glasses, let me on them! I now have prescription sunglasses for distance, glasses for distance (I can't believe how working in the garden is so much more interesting now that I can see the plants) and the latest, full-size reading glasses. My choices of frames are getting funkier and funkier. It is so handy to have an extra pair of glasses in my bag and ... learning to draw is SOOOOOO much easier now that I can see both what I am drawing and what I have drawn!


No comments:

Post a Comment